The End of Medical School

July 18, 2018

Image Source: www.ncl.ac.uk
I have finally come to the last chapter of my undergraduate studies, the gruesome fifth (final year). It was undeniably challenging to an epic scale. During the start of the course, I was literally still in holiday mode after returning to Malaysia from the United Kingdom. Never mind that I was exhausted and suffering from jet-lagged after some 20 hours of journey, I have not touched any of the curriculum materials as I was busy doing medical electives throughout the year (which were not related to my learning objectives to certain extent). Also, the schedules for final year was not really helping at all as they were packed whereby I was in hospital five days a week, each day from as early as seven in the morning until four (sometimes five) in the evening.

There were five rotations to be done within the first three months, each was shorten to three weeks instead of four during third year. During the rotations, I realised that there were not much time to learn new knowledge. Instead, the three weeks were actually being used to solidify what I have already learnt previously. It was also stressful at times because at the end of the rotations, there would be in course exams.

After the six rotations, I did another three blocks of specialties namely, AnE, Orthopaedics and Internal Medicine, each with 6 weeks period. The blocks were not as intense as it comprised of mainly clerkship in the hospitals most of the time. In short, I was assigned to the departments to help the doctors and learn as much as I could. Of course, I had to prepare for the final examination as well while which consisted of all the things that I have learned during medical school. Oh and I have forgotten to mention about the drug prescription exam as well as the documentation exam which was in early of the year and couple of days before the written exam.

Talking about final exam, there were written and practical exam. Honestly speaking, the written was by far easier compared to practical exam. I know once I have said the former was 200 single best answer questions, people will start saying "oh that's easy" sort of phrases. Indeed, because the latter was eight stations with random patients and all sorts of medical conditions. It can be as simple as common cold or even menopause to much more complex cases such as stroke with heart attack and underlying diabetes and high blood pressure. In addition, I was only assigned 14 minutes to consult the patient and conduct a physical examination before presenting and answering questions from examiners.

After going through the ordeal, I have to wait one week for the results to be announced. Oh god, I have to admit that that was the longest week I have to endure in my life. There were restless nights, lost of appetite and lost of interest to do anything for that entire seven days. I was having zero confidence to pass this exam that I prepared myself to receive the bad news of failing and needing to meet the dean. Even on the day itself, I woke up early in the morning and prayed at the temple for quite some time to calm myself before the results were out. Instead of nine in the morning like usual, the results were released at eight. When my friends told me that I have passed the year, I thought that they were pulling my leg.

After viewing the results with my own eyeballs, I was literally beyond relieved. One can even say I was on top of the world at the moment after knowing that most of my closest friends passed together. #thankguanyinma There would be no repeating the year, no unnecessary payment and stress-free! Nonetheless, there were couple of my friends who unfortunately did not make it. I have nothing but the best wishes for them, hoping that they could stay strong and brave through another year before becoming a doctor. #pray


You Might Also Like

0 comments