Why Don't Newcastle University Graduates Wear Mortarboards?

July 21, 2018

Image Source: https://scontent-atl3-1.cdninstagram.com
At the moment, I am eagerly waiting for my graduation ceremony day to arrive. Although the result list was released back in mid June, the graduation ceremony for Newcastle University Medicine Malaysia falls on end of October. The timing is somewhat slow, considering that the graduation ceremony in Newcastle University is held in July. While I was scrolling through the ceremony photos on Newcastle University facebook page couple of days ago, I found something odd in the photos particularly the graduates. No matter how I tried, I could not sort it out until I went to my friend's grad ceremony couple of weeks ago. Of course, the mortarboards were missing in the #NCLGRAD photos! Literally none of the graduates were wearing mortarboards/ caps other than the robes. Curiosity got the better of me, hence I went searching for answers to this rather peculiar questions on google. As it turned out, Google did not disappoint me. It had something to do with tradition.

Image Source: www.ncl.ac.uk
So the story goes like this. Once upon a time, Newcastle began as a division which then later turned into a college of Durham University. It taught mainly medical and scientific subjects at that period of time. As the Toon division outpaced the Durham in scientific research, tensions were rising between the two universities. Eventually, Newcastle became as in independent university and called the University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne in 1963. In order to celebrate the momentous event, students celebrated the freedom from Durham University by throwing their traditional hats (mortarboards) into the River Tyne. The university later became the University of Newcastle.

There you have it. Thanks to TheTab Newcastle and Newcastle University's official webpage, I got the full story of it. Well, to be honest, I do not really mind with the absence of mortarboards at all because it is kind of a hassle to wear one and the feathery robe itself is cool enough. Some of my friends actually told me that it is way better without the caps as they would mess up your hair big time. Alas, I just want to graduate and attend the grad ceremony. Can't wait. Till then, bye.

You Might Also Like

0 comments