Sick Days

March 07, 2016

Image Source: universityprimetime.com
Last week I was feeling under the weather. Who would ever thought that mighty medical students will eventually get infected by the bacteria and viruses that they have studied all too well?  After all, we are none but mere mortals at the end of the day, having the same if not higher probability of getting illnesses and diseases for we have close contacts with the sick people most of the time. I was raising this issue specifically because when I was registering myself as a patient over the counter at a nearby hospital, the staff were a little bit taken aback and giving me peculiar looks that a medical student could fall sick.

Well, I was pretty ill that day, considering that my fever spiked to 39.3 degree Celcius and I was having other symptoms such as sore throat, cough, flu, abdominal pain and lethargy. After consulting the doctor, I was given two days off and my blood was taken for lab test to rule out dengue fever which was really prevalent here. Nonetheless, the tests came out negative and I was relieved for the fact that I am not having dengue fever but a viral throat infection. However, it took me about a week for my fever to resolve and during these one whole hellish week, I had consumed for what I thought to be the most amount of paracetamol in my life in order to suppress the fever. Looking back, I gathered that I must have had at least 36 paracetamol tablets in just a week time.

Fortunately, on day seven, my fever finally subsided (which was about 2 days ago) and currently I am still having chesty cough and runny nose. All in all, my weight has decreased by a staggering seven kilograms in seven days. That is about one kilogram per day which really surprised my as I remembered that my appetite was not lost at all and I even forced myself to eat much more than I would normally do. Hopefully these symptoms will go away as soon as possible and I will be gaining these precious weights back in a healthy manner. Till then, au revoir! :)

You Might Also Like

0 comments