Pangkor Island Festival 2014

September 19, 2014


As promised, I am going to write a blog post about my little short trip to Pulau Pangkor, Perak. Pangkor Island is a small tropical island located at the Southwest coast of Perak in Malaysia and it is well-known for its beauty across the world. In addition, Pangkor Island is in fact the largest island amongst the nine islands the surround it, which include Pangkor Laut Island, Mentagor Island, Coral Island, Talang Island and Giam Island. Furthermore, there are few beaches that span across Pangkor Island, where Pasir Bogak and Teluk Nipah outshine the rest. Despite its small size, Pangkor Island is undoubtedly convenient with various accommodations and amenities provided.

The ferry 
Pangkor Island view from Marina Island jetty
The fare

The fare
I started my journey at Marina Island where I took a ferry to Pangkor Island. The cost of the two ways ticket was RM10.00 and it took only 10 minutes to my destination from Marina Island jetty.


 Upon reaching Pangkor Island, I went to rent a motorcycle which cost me RM25.00 .My first stop was getting lunch at a nearby shop.



So I ended up in this pretty old-style Chiang Seng Restaurant which sells various kind of food, such as chicken rice, duck rice, kolo mee, curry noddles, and so forth. After browsing through the food, I ordered a plate of Jawa Mee (RM4.00) along with a can of Pepsi! The Jawa Mee was pretty small in portion and taste just alright for I feel Jawa Mee sold in Sitiawan has tasted better.


Right after lunch, I drove to Kampung Sungai Pinang Besar followed by Kampung Sungai Pinang Kecil. At the moment, there is a festival held in Kampung Sungai Pinang Besar. It is the annual Pangkor Island Festival where community, culture and arts come to play. The aim of the festival is to encourage interactions amongst Pangkorians as well as foster new interaction between locals and artists. Pangkor Island Festival 2014 is held from 13-20 September 2014. There are various activities organised by the event team and the schedule is as follows


Personally, I think that the festival is not really that interesting for me as the activities were not exciting enough. Also, there were not much crowd as I expected before I came to the island.

Anchovies

Dog

Tapir
Old projector


Pier

Porcupine fish

Fish

Monkey

Hornbill

Elephant

Hornbill
Fortunately, there were a lot of mural paintings with animal motives around Kampung Sungai Pinang Besar that made the place much more beautiful! Besides, I also get to visit a massive temple in the area named Foo Ling Kong Temple.

The entrance

Souvenirs

Old people chillin out

Old men playing chinese checkers 





The mini Great Wall Of China!




What shocked me the most was that there was actually a mini size of the GREAT WALL OF CHINA hidden in that particular temple!

Pasir Bogak beach


Adorable mini kites



There's this old building used for watching views

The view. Not clear due to haze :(




Teluk Nipah beach


Next, I went to the famous Pasir Bogak beach as well as Teluk Nipah beach! There were various kinds of activities available for the tourists, such as snorkelling, boat tour around the island, riding jet ski, and the likes. However, I would not recommend snorkelling as there were barely any fish in the snorkelling area! The weather was burning hot and I was sweating profusely throughout the whole journey. Nonetheless, it was worth it in a sense that the beaches offered breath-taking views and the sea breeze was nice! After spending some time relaxing under the shade, I decided to call it a day and went back home. It was definitely an unforgettable trip and a great one of course.




I am looking forward to visit Pangkor Island again in the future. Till then, au revoir! :)



For more information about Pangkor Island Festival 2014, visit www.pangkorislandfestival.com

You Might Also Like

0 comments